Saturday, June 7, 2014

Holding on to Hope

I recently had an interesting discussion with a friend. We covered a lot of topics, amongst them racism, prejudice, problems of nationalism, the objectification of women, the pursuit of privileges without accepting responsibility, and struggles with attraction shadowing all the decisions we make.

He agreed, none of it is ideal, life would be better if these were not so, but argued that there is little we can do to change these things in the world at large. And perhaps he is right. Perhaps the most that those of us who want to change all of this can do is live our life the way we want the world to be, and teach our children how to do better if they so choose. Maybe it is simply the idealist in me yearning for utopia, but my heart aches to believe that there must be more I can do. There must be things I can say to someone to help them change their life for the better, to let go of shackles they had no idea they were clinging to. There must be ways to break down these systems that people buy into that do not serve them, but enslave them. 


Is there a clarion call, that will wake people from their stupors? That will rouse them to desire a better life for not only themselves, but all humanity? I do not want violent revolution, I would prefer to speak gentle words. But what are those words? What words are kind enough to keep minds open, but profound enough to pierce hearts? 

In pondering these questions I know the answers. Someone has led the way, Someone did say all those words. Someone has shared so much truth, and every sliver of truth I find leads back to His words. And He was rejected. He was despised. He was killed, though what He preached was peace. But those words, when taken to heart, shook up the world. Those words changed and even broke systems and classes. People have a hard time with changing the status quo. Especially if they would feel a loss of any power.

So perhaps my friend is right. Perhaps my desire to change the world is futile. Perhaps all my dreams are simply that. But I need to hold on to hope. There were people who heard His words and believed. There are people who will still. And each who does, they can have that much more joy. Isn't that worth it? 

Perhaps I cannot change the world, but maybe what I have to say can change the world for one person. And I believe every soul is worth the effort. Every soul. And I believe it is never to late. Maybe the majority of people will not hear, listen or take it to heart. But with each person who does we can build networks of people, trying to make the world better. We heal that much more. We can have that much more peace. And as each network and community grows, so does their influence upon the people around them.

I need that hope. The hope that I can have an impact for good in the world, however small it may be. The hope that my efforts are not in vain. The hope that I can change. The hope that it is possible for love for one another to take root in each heart. It can be so hard to do. I look into the world, and see how we hurt one another. The violence, aggression, and selfishness that deepen already gaping wounds. It causes me to begin to despair. 

But then I think of all the good in the world. Of the divine seeds within each of us, that cause us to want peace, happiness and love. All of us have those seeds within us. I believe that. Some of us are so wounded it is difficult for anything like that to grow. And I see so many beautiful examples in the people in my life. The ones who see so much beauty in the world, everywhere they go. There are so many reasons to be hopeful. So many people are out there doing good. And perhaps, against the leviathans that we seem to be up against it may appear futile. But every soul is worth it. And when I have that hope, I also feel at peace. Not a peace that allows me to stand still, but one that allows to be satisfied that my efforts are worth it. I would much rather have that hope and peace then the frustration of being resigned.

No comments:

Post a Comment